Rugs are a great way to bring colour and character in your home but rug placement can be a little tricky.
After doing lots of research for my own house I wanted to share what I have learned on how to choose the perfect rug for your space. This guide will give you quick tips for choosing colour, material, durability and the size for all kinds of rooms.
What Size of Rug for the Living Room
- Bigger is better! Rugs that are ‘floating’ in the middle can actually make the space look smaller.
- The most important rule: Make sure all sofas and accent chairs front legs are on the rug
- You want at least a 2 foot space between the rug and the wall (you want people to know you have beautiful hardwood floors)
- Typical sizes: 8x10, 9x12, 10x14
What Size of Rug for the Dining room
- Make sure the dining chairs are all on the rug even when the chairs are pulled out. Usually around 2 feet on each side of the table will allow this. (Remember to keep in mind if your table has an extension).
- Dining room rugs can become dirty, make sure you get a washable rug or are aware of the cleaning requirements
Here are some of my favourites!